Sunday, October 31, 2010

Post 10


Dan Brown
An Open Letter to Educators


I am reading this post as an assignment for my EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Elementary Education. This video was almost like a slap in the face. I mean, it's not like I wasn't aware of this information, but it's almost like i want to ignore it in a sense. If I really want to be honest the first time I have learned anything new in years is right now in Dr.Strange's micro-computing class. He has many doorways we can look through and gain knowlegde and information from. He doesn't baby us and he gets right to the point. Instead for standing up there and saying blah blah blah he gives us assignments like this one and it opens ours eyes. This is one of the best blogs I have read/listened to. It applies directly to my situation and every other college student for that matter. All I can say, is I can't wait for the classroom to go completely technical, and as far as books go...... we don't seem to need them. I have 4 different books and like you said I haven't crack one of them yet!



Two Questions That Can Change Your Life

What's My Sentence?
My sentence...... Gosh what is my sentence. This is not an easy question. I suppose my question for now would be:
Instead of asking yourself if you are technologically literate, ask yourself if you are fluent with technologically!

Was I Better Today Than Yesterday?
I would like to think that I am better today than I was yesterday, but I think many factors can weight into that question. Well, I would have to say yes, overall I think that I am better today than yesterday. I say this, because everyday that goes by I learn and understand more and more things. This applies to school material and life lessons.

Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home
Pencils"

So this was a great post! She begins talking about how children in low-income areas usually have lower standardized test grades due to the fact of having only pencils to work with, whereas students in a more middle class or high class area have computers to help them learn. These children who are in low-income areas need computers in todays growing world of technology in order to stay up-to-date, and to be able to at least stay within the "average" of the standardized scoring.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what was said to a certain extent. I guess I have been blessed with having some really good teachers, but I have had my share of teachers who would just stand at the front of the classroom and lecture. I think this is the first semester in a while that I have used all of my books for my classes. Good sentence. I'm glad that you are better today than you were yesterday. Keep up the good work on your blog. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post May.

    I agree the books are seemingly less and less relevant. I think the blog is the single best thing that is taught in EDM310 and kind of keeps us on the same page without a book. The blog is an outstanding educational tool for students and teachers. From the student's perspective, it is a place to organize everything you do including virtually any multimedia you want. The blog is also a great way for students to hone their expressive writing skills from reporting on what they have done or discovered to reflecting on how things could be enhanced or improved. Student blogs also allow the teacher to keep up with when students have completed assigned work. From the teacher's perspective using a class blog is an excellent course management tool providing a platform for multimodal presentation, dissemination of important course information, and feedback from students. The class blog also provides students a place where they can access anything they need for the course 24/7.

    ReplyDelete