Sunday, February 28, 2010

Assignment 7

This Is How We Dream: Writing With Multimedia 
    Reading and writing is not longer only about pen and paper but about technology as well.  Teachers and not look toward technology to help improve and motivate their students to learn the information that needs to be taught and learned.  Todays world like Dr. Richard E. Miller has said, "Has also gone completely virtual".  This semester I only had to buy one book which wasn't so cheap.  It was about $100 and I have only opened it twice since this semester has started.  However, I can't complain but in pervious semesters I was having to buy 4 and 5 books at almost the same price.  Books are now downloadable from the internet and the price is cut in half if not free many times.  
    The fact that we have become such a technologically enhanced society we no longer have any limitations of what we can access.  Writing a paper is something you can do without leaving you home.  Therefore, if you get sick or your child gets sick you can still manage to do you work at home without a problem.  There is not such thing as a closing time.  The internet is always open.  Anybody and find anything.  What more could we ask for as a student, teacher or just a person in general?  Not only can we find whatever we need to put together a project or learn how to do something, but we can also make whatever we want.  Presentations, movies, slide shows, recordings, and the list goes on.  Pen and paper is not in the past but we are no longer restricted to it!


The Networked Student:
    What is connectivism?  Connectivism is a theroy that presumes that learning occurs as part of a social network of many diverse connections and ties.  In other words, we learn from the ones around us.  A lecture is no good if your not understanding or retaining the material.  Although many people learn differently I haven't heard of too many people not learning something from hands on, and that's exactly what technology is.  It is a constant hands on learning experience.  With technology a student can find what helps them the most and stick with it.  Once again we are no longer limited to what we can find or do in order to learn.


Towards A New Future Of Whatever:
    My goodness... I couldn't imagine going back 25 years.  Im 26 years old now and when I was about 8 I can remember a "dinosaur" sitting in the living room.  That thing that I call a "dinosaur" was a computer, this computer was weird looking back now.  I mean the print was green and there was no changing that, and forget about signing on the internet because I think that was still being created lol.  
    As I write this post I am listening to Michael Wesch and he has made many good point just within the first 10 minutes. Why do all these people want to be stars and why do they think they deserve to be a star? Well, like Mr. Wesch says this is the self help generation. Multimedia allows everyone to be their own person and express it though technology. Technology has changed all of us. We as people not robots need to know ourselves. We must take the good with the bad.

















1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing we are spending less on books now. I also only have to spend about $200 on books, where in previous semesters I have spent closer to $400-$500. I am glad to put those days behind me.

    ReplyDelete