Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post 3


Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

I watched this this video for my EDM310 class at the Univ. of South Alabama. This video is what puts my thoughts into words. I have e-mailed this video to both of my parents, because it's almost impossible to explain to people who are not in school what it's like these days to be a student. This is my life summed up in four minutes and forty five seconds. It was absolutely amazing.


"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines


First and foremost, I could not agree more with Kelly when she says"Technology is useless without good teaching." I feel that this holds true for any subject whether it be English, Math, or technology. Many educators do not see themselves as learners. Some teachers feel that are there to teach. They did not go through four years or more of college to be taught or as they might feel "insulted" by their students, but rather to teach their students. However, if these teachers would "really" listen to what some of their students are saying, then that's just more knowledge that they can pass down to their future students, or even friends and family. Lets face it, technology is growing faster than we can learn it.



Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?


I must say that Mr. Fisch post was rather extreme but true. Technology is no longer used just for fun, but as a part of everyday life. If you choose to be technologically illiterate you are only crippling yourself. However, if you choose to be technologically illiterate as a teacher you are crippling our future. I really appreciated the comment Mr. Fisch made on people being proud of their ignorance with technology. On all honesty, what kind of message does that send to people around them? It sends the message that it's acceptable not to care or bother learning today's world. Learning technology today is not any different than learning how to read, write, add and subtract. It's just part of life. How can we expect children to want to learn the world of technology if we as future teachers do not want to learn? Children will mock what they see, and if they see that we don't care then they aren't going to care either.



Gary Hayes Social Media Count


The unimaginable amount of people twitting, blogging, using face book and watching YouTube videos on a daily basis means that as a future teacher i will have to have a web enhanced classroom and stay current by any means possible. I am do to graduate in 2012 with a bachelors in Elementary Education, and at the rate technology is growing I know that I will have to work even harder to stay ahead of the game. I want to be the kind of teacher that is able to send students home to teach their parents. I feel that as a teacher if you are behind, then so is your classroom. That will do nothing more but make life harder for the student and their next teacher. Life isn't about catching up, but rather staying ahead.

2 comments:

  1. May! I really enjoyed reading your blog posts on this weeks assignments! I love what you had to say about Michael Wesch's video, it is so true! It is nice to know that someone gets it and can express how we feel as students today. I also liked what you said about Mr. Fisch's video and how we cannot expect students to learn what we ourselves are not willing to learn! You have such a way of expressing your thoughts thoroughly so that readers know exactly what you're thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May,

    You are really catching on to what we are trying to send to you through EDM310. I hope we are all better teachers because of technology and I know you will be one of those teachers!

    You said:"I want to be the kind of teacher that is able to send students home to teach their parents." I really think this is a great attitude to have as a teacher because it makes you want to be the best at something, even if you are the best or not.

    Keep on blogging May!

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete