Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Additional Assignment 1

Google Squared & Wolfram Alpha

I have heard of many different search engines but, never Google Squared or Wolfram Alpha.  I particularly  liked Google Squared because it gives an idea on how accurate the information that is.  I decided to look-up New Jersey, Mississippi and cats.  When I looked-up the NJ and MS it instantly gave me the name of the capitals, the largest cities within those states and provided who the governor of those states were.  When I looked up the cats it gave me an endless list of the different breed of cats along with a description of their color or colors.
Wolfram Alpha is also a great search engine to use. It gives the date when the word was first used in the english language, the origin of the word, narrower terms for all meanings,  border terms of all meanings and crossword puzzle clues.  I look at Wolfram Alpha more as a dictionary apposed to a search engine. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed learning about both of them.
When it comes to statistics i realize that they are pretty random.  Many people like to "back-up" certain things they say with a statistic.  I realize that every statistic can't be right so next time someone throws some number out, I will be sure to check that statistic out on my own with the new tools that I have had all along, but never knew about until now. Last, but not least a screen shot of the Pitcairn Island.
Pitcairn Island


No comments:

Post a Comment